Saturday, February 6, 2010

National Geographic Society

I was right, I forgot one organization to which I belong! I am the proud owner of a membership in The National Geographic Society. I receive their monthly magazines, and find something absolutely worth sharing/repeating in each and every issue. They amaze me with their attention to detail and honesty - National Geographic does not report what is sensational, and they don't report in meaningless "news-bites." Periodically, while sitting at Barns and Nobles, I read magazine articles in periodicals such as People and US Weekly, because, I admit, I get curious about John Edwards' wife finally leaving him, or big families like that of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt potentially splitting up. I wouldn't say I'm star-struck by any stretch of the imagination, because I tend to read the articles in US Weekly and be extremely annoyed at their lack of substance. I do however enjoy some People articles.

Anyway, National Geographic is an entirely different story. I would never subscribe to People Magazine. I like to read it in doctors' offices and bookstores, I admit. But even when I for a time subscribed to Time Magazine I was annoyed at times by their reporting. National Geographic Magazine has never once annoyed or disappointed me. The reporting is not only honest and fair and open-minded, it is refreshing in how well-written it is, and the photography is, justifiably, world-renowned. Every month I open this magazine and peruse each, and every, single page. I give these articles and photograph captions as much attention to detail as I believe the editors and writers put into writing and compiling their art. These issues are, truly, works of art.

I await the day eagerly when I can afford their $70 - $100 world globes, atlases and maps. I plan to fill my home with the knowledge and expertise that comes from this wonderful organization. They are dedicated to saving our world for our children. I hope to always join them in reaching this worthy goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment