Sunday, February 28, 2010

Studies on Autism and PTSD

I'm writing a short paper today about an event I went to that gave me helpful outside information for both my Intro to Sociolinguistics and my Human Exceptionality classes. Dr. Gilbert W. Kliman came and spoke to a group of students and faculty at the University of Utah last Thursday, about his ongoing research and methodology working with children with Autism-spectrum disorders, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders. The presentation was wonderful, and I look forward to learning more about his revolutionary Reflective Network Therapy method of working with traumatized and autistic children.

I also recently picked up an impressive magazine called The Autism File U.S.A. - Covering Autism, Asperger's, ADHD, ADD and Other Related Disorders. This magazine has taught me a lot as well and I've been most inspired by the articles written by parents of children diagnosed with Autism-spectrum disorders. Everything I am learning in my Human Exceptionality class and from my brother and sister-in-law, with whom I am working to learn more about their diagnoses, is opening my eyes so much to the human condition and what so many people experience daily that we all to often ignore or do not know enough about.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Elaine,
    I am the mom of a child with autism and PTSD and I am looking for help for him. His quality of life is so poor now I don't know what to do and I have not been able to find him real help. I can give you more info if needed but know I just want to reach you.

    Do you know where I can get a copy of the article in your post about "Children with Autism-spectrum disorders, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders by Dr. Gilbert W. Kliman?

    Regards,
    Phyllis
    Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Phyllis,

    Wow, I didn't see your post until now ~ I am glad that I was going back through my posts and comments! I found the Autism magazine I mentioned in my post in a Barns & Noble once, and here is the website for Kilman's Reflective Network Therapy ~ also if you google Reflective Network Therapy, you can watch videos of people who have been through it ... hope this helps,

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.cphc-sf.org/content/view/13/35/

    ReplyDelete