Sunday, January 24, 2010

AmeriCorps

In the year 2007 I became an AmeriCorps Alumni. This is, to this day, an accomplishment close to my heart. I met several amazing people; Lynne McCue-Hamilton and Phuong Vu from Salt Lake Community College, for example. The organizations I explored and worked with during my time in AmeriCorps included the Utah Food Bank, The Thayne Center for Service and Learning, the Salt Lake County Division of Youth Services, and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah. The most lasting of these connections was Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah, and my perfect match of a little sister is growing at an alarming rate and I still enjoy taking her on outings and continuing to get to know and mentor her.

I thank President William Jefferson Clinton for creating this U.S. Federal Government Program, and even President George Walker Bush, for expanding the program by 50 percent.

I would call AmeriCorps, and all I learned through my hours of service that year, the beginning of my dedication to community service and learning. Today I am devoted to building communities and relationships and I will always be grateful to the AmeriCorps program for setting me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment