Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Teaching Writing

This past Saturday I had the most amazing experience as a Writing Teacher. It was my fourth meeting with my newest student, a 12-year-old boy whose parents would like for him to improve his writing, public speaking, and debate skills. He is in his first year of Junior High, his favorite subject is Technology, and his favorite genre to read is Historical Fiction. I am basically trying to teach him as much as possible while having as much fun as possible. Over the next two weeks he will be preparing a Presentation on the Short-faced Bear, a prehistoric animal we read about in an Ancient World History Textbook we've been reading articles from aloud during our lessons. I'll be presenting on the Dire Wolf.

I felt that this lesson was such a success because I had white board markers and chalk, and a few fun writing ideas, and he was able to take up whole sections of the board, climbing over desks in the empty classroom we commandeered, and wrote what I thought was a great, entertaining story. What I love most about teaching is finding enjoyable, laughable exercises and topics that are of personal interest to the student. I learn SO much from those I teach!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, I just finished a school year myself, check it out:http://lostcoyote.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete